Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Where does time go, Percy Jackson, and other summer musings...

Mine and my daughter's fairy garden







Where has summer gone?



My son's hotwheels garden

Today the newest Percy Jackson movie Sea of Monsters came out. When I first started seeing the previews for it I thought, "Hmmm, looking forward to that, but not what comes right after."

For those of you without kids or who don't read a lot of children's fiction, Percy Jackson is a series written by Rick Riordan about a young demi-god. The stories are fun, full of adventure, and the characters are great. If you have a hard time getting into the mindset of a middle grader then this is a great series to read. I would also recommend listening to the audio books to actually help you hear the voice of this character.

A boy and his dog enjoying staying up late


But I digress. Probably because I don't want summer to be nearly over. I know some parents are a little relieved when school starts back. Unfortunately, I'm not one of them. I say unfortunately because it would be much easier for me if I could be. Instead I tend to feel older and sad that my playmates, err, children had to go back to work and the real world.





Abby as Belle in Beauty and the Beast Jr.







As a writer I get to stay home and make-up my own schedule.









So having them around to do research with, (i.e. imaginative and essential role play and dress-up games) makes my job all that much more fun. Hey, I write for children. I'm allowed to be youthful this way. I have to be for my work's sake. Don't judge me. : P


Now they have to grow up a little bit more by starting third grade and seventh grade. I get to ride that wonderful emotional roller coaster known as puberty again with my seventh grader. (yeah)













Next week I will have to pull up my own big girl pants for them and let them go back to school with a smile, a hug, and a wave. SIGH. At least I'll still have my cat and my dogs to play with.










And our turtle, Ted. I wonder how Ted would feel about wearing a tutu???


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why the Follow Up Was Even Better Than the First

  Image Copied from Goodreads As promised, today I'll be reviewing  Hot Dutch Daydream  by Kristy Boyce, which is a follow up to Boyce&#...