![]() |
| image provided by publisher |
Perfect for fans of YA Dark Academia Urban Fantasy
About this Book:
To rescue someone close to her, Viv must team up with Reid’s violent, unpredictable older brother, Deacon. Her uneasy truce with him offers Viv something Reid never could: the chance to embrace her darkness.
Viv’s mission takes her to the center of Astera's seedy underbelly with none other than the White Stag as her guide. But when a bounty on Viv's head puts those she cares about in danger, Viv will be forced to go to lengths she never dreamed in order to protect them.
With enemies closing in from all sides and a ticking clock on her life, Viv must save the Half City from destruction while surviving a betrayal that strikes at the heart of everything she’s fighting for. Because in a world where monsters wear familiar faces and temptation cuts deeper than any blade, making it through her second semester at Harker will take more than skill—it will take everything Viv has left to give. Who can she really trust in a city that thrives on lies?
My Impressions:
This was a solid sequel to the first book in the series. But while I did enjoy Cursed City overall, it took me longer to get into it than it did the first book.
However, the revelations throughout the plot and the character development of Deacon were what kept me reading. The reward for that was the second half of Cursed City where Viv finally begins to realize that the black and white world between good guys and bad guys that she's always held as a hunter isn't so clear cut. That Deacon is more than what he appears and so is Reid. I also enjoyed learning more about the different factions that control this world, more about the history of aeons and of the syrabraxa curse. And while the ending wasn't quite as big of a shock as a cliffhanger for me, I still was left wanting more at the end like I was with the Half City. I am still invested in Viv's story, especially now that she seems to have come full circle in not just accepting who and what she is, but has learned to take some pride in that. Of course, without giving away any spoilers, her world has been turned on its head once again and we are left wondering how in the world she's going to make it out of her current situation.
I truly hope that when the third comes out I'll be able to read it right away to see how this trilogy concludes.

No comments:
Post a Comment