Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Winter Weather Doesn't Have To Be the Season of Gloom

I like many people am growing tired of winter and am looking forward to spring. But I shouldn't be. Wishing time away is a foolish venture since it is a precious commodity we only get to spend once.

Also, we often idealize the new, forgetting that with the return of warmer weather come those annoying little natty bugs. The ones that make it hard to enjoy the sunshine as they try to fly up your nose or into your mouth. .

So, this season of lent, a good time of self reflection, I am trying to continually remind myself to enjoy the moment and appreciate the positives of winter. For instance, even though it too cold to be outside for very long this means it's a good time to enjoy indoor pleasures without feeling guilty. These include watching my favorite shows on TV and whittling down my to-be-read pile of books.

And just because I'm indoors doesn't mean I'm not expected to play endless games of fetch with my dog who adamantly refuses to grow up and leave such puppyish behavior behind.

Another good thing about this season of cold, wet, sometimes snowy weather is the fact you can get your exercise indoors where no one can see you. This has the added advantage of not having to worry about sunscreen, bug spray, or how smoothly shaven your legs may be beforehand. Instead of giving something up for lent I agreed to be committed to getting in some sort of physical fitness six days out of the week.

So far I'm doing pretty good with my lenten promises. Though, I did grumble some about the snow as it came pouring down on Sunday. It didn't detract from my holiday, though. In fact, it probably helped me appreciate a day at home with my family more. We actually enjoyed a nice steak dinner at the table together. A luxury we're usually too busy to enjoy.

This winter, whether you observe lent or not. Whether the weather is bad outside or not, take the time to concentrate on the positives longer evenings and shorter days offer. It will be spring and the season of renewal soon enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Slow Burn Dance into Contemporary Romance

  Image copied from Goodreads For the month of April I will be focusing on straight, contemporary romance reads. By that I mean these will b...