Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Happy Veteran's Day!


Today's blog post is going to be short and sweet. Not because this one day of the year isn't important, but because I'd rather we spend today honoring our veteran's by giving them our time and attention face-to-face or by talking to them over the phone and personally thanking them for their sacrifice. I would also say it is equally as important to thank the families of all the veterans past and present. Without their sacrifice and unconditional loyalty to our service men and women we wouldn't have the heroes we do who are willing to sacrifice everything for their country.

I will say that I am very proud to be the daughter and granddaughter of two brave veterans, who like many of our service men and women are and were unassuming and uncomfortable being labeled heroes. My Grandad served in the navy during WWII in underwater demolitions, which was the precursor to today's navy seals. He then went on to fight again as a soldier in the U.S. Army during the Korean War. My dad served in Operation Desert Storm the first time around and was with a supply unit that supported the 1st Infantry when they went into Iraq and drove Saddam Hussein out of Kuwait. So, I know first hand how difficult it is to be the family member of deployed service people. Today I thank all the men and women who continue to serve our country and my thanks and prayers go out to the families who are waiting or are learning to live without a loved one because they didn't make it back home. I also admire you all for your strength and perseverance in learning how to go on with life when you face a new normal because you or your loved one have come home injured or disabled while serving. I have cousins who serve today and I pray all the time for their safety as they fulfill their promise to serve and protect.

So, take some time today to pray for those who've gone before and who fight today for our freedom. Let them know how proud you are to call them your fellow countrymen. And pray for them and their families.

And Grandad, I hope you're having a blast up there today in heaven chewing the fat with the cronies, you served with, reminiscing about old times. I'm sure my grandmother is up there right now too beaming with pride.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why the Follow Up Was Even Better Than the First

  Image Copied from Goodreads As promised, today I'll be reviewing  Hot Dutch Daydream  by Kristy Boyce, which is a follow up to Boyce&#...